School Bus Driver Training Program
- Day 1 Orientation & Rules and Regulations
- Day 2 Rules and Regulations & CHP Interviews
- Day 3 Vehicle Components
- Day 4 Defensive Driving Specialized Defensive Driving
- Day 5 Loading and Unloading & Emergency procedures
- Day 6 Emergency Procedures & Pupil Management
- Day 7 Field Trips, Special Needs, Public Relations
- Day 8 First Aid
- Day 9 Class Final
- Day 10 Written test with CHP Rules and Regulations Test
- Class A or B license for school bus and passenger transportation.
- California Special Driver Certificate* (School Bus) validated by the CHP.
- A Medical Examination/Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
- Passing an examination on first aid practices and/or certification of attending and passing a first aid training program.
- Department of Justice fingerprint clearance through the CHP.
- Pass mandated alcohol/controlled substance tests.
- * To receive a California Special Driver Certification (School Bus), everyone must successfully complete a minimum 40-hour course of instruction.
The course shall include at least 20 hours of classroom instruction in, but not limited to, all units of the Instructor’s Manual for California’s Bus Driver’s Training Course. The course shall include at least 20 hours of behind-the-wheel training in all sections of the Instructor’s Behind-the-Wheel Guide for California’s Bus Driver’s Training Course.