California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS)
The California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) is administered annually to students in grades 5, 7. 9, and 11. The survey, supported by the California Department of Education, assists districts in meeting Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) priorities to improve school climate, pupil engagement, parent involvement, and academic achievement. The results are also used by site and district administrators in needs assessment, including the development of the Comprehensive Safe School Plan. The information assists efforts to guide learning support, improve student achievement, and reduce health risks that stand as barriers to learning. Student participation is voluntary and the survey will take 30-50 minutes depending on the grade level.
- For 5th grade students, a parent/guardian must return the permission form indicating their student is permitted to participate in the survey.
- For students in the 7th, 9th, and 11th grade, parents/guardians must return the exemption form indicating they do not want their child to participate.
- Use the electronic form or paper form below. Paper forms must be returned to the student's teacher.
February 14, 2022-March 18, 2022 is the administration window.
If you have any questions, please contact Director of Student Services, Thomas Harrington, at (805) 769-1000.
Sample Survey Questions
California Healthy Kids Surveys Parent Consent Forms
Use the forms below to submit a hardcopy to your student's school Only If you have not submitted an online Consent or Exemption form.
- Parent Consent for the California Healthy Kids Survey 2021-22, Elementary School (English)
- Parent Consent for the California Healthy Kids Survey 2021-22, Elementary School (Spanish)
- Parent Consent for the California Healthy Kids Survey 2021-22, Middle/High School (English)
- Parent Consent for the California Healthy Kids Survey 2021-22, Middle/High School (Spanish)