PBIS is a framework or approach comprised of intervention practices and organizational systems for establishing positive social culture, learning and teacher environments, and individual behavior supports needed to achieve academic and social success for all students. Schools that implement PBIS focus on taking a team-based, systematic approach, and teaching appropriate behaviors to all students in the school.
Schools are discovering that PBIS:
- Helps to create a positive school climate.
- Addresses the behavioral needs of all students with proven, easy to implement strategies.
- Allows the school to create the “right fit” for them, so that practices are appropriate to the context and sustainable over time.
- Results in increased time for instruction and fewer disciplinary incidents.
- Is viable and does not have to overwhelm staff given the limited time and resources that schools are experiences.