Absences for Illness
Absences are one of the primary causes of academic failure. An absence due to illness is especially difficult for students. They may need to catch up on schoolwork at the same time that they are healing. Please communicate with the school staff regarding illnesses to determine what work will need to be completed.
For prolonged illness of 3 or more weeks, please contact the school regarding Home Hospital and Independent Study programs to facilitate learning during the recovery period.
When to Keep Your Child Home Sick:
- Fever over 100 degree or greater.
- May return to school when student is fever free for 24 hours without medication.
- Fever is a sign of infection that can be transmitted to someone else.
- Vomiting and diarrhea are often caused by illness that can be transmitted to someone else.
- May return to school 24 hours after the last episode of vomiting and/or diarrhea.
- All new skin rashes not yet evaluated by a doctor.
- Rashes are often part of illnesses that are easily spread to others.
- Small skin lesions can be covered with a bandage.
- State required immunizations must be complete or a waiver on file.