District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
A district-level English Learner Advisory Committee comprised of parents, staff, and community members designated to advise district officials on English learner programs and services.
Each California public school district with 51 or more English learners must form a District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC) unless the district designates for this purpose a subcommittee of an existing districtwide advisory committee.
The DELAC shall advise the school district governing board on at least the following tasks:
- Development of a district master plan for education programs and services for English learners. The district master plan will take into consideration the school site master plans.
- Conducting of a district wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishment of district program, goals, and objectives for programs and services for English learners.
- Development of a plan to ensure compliance with any applicable teacher and/or teacher aide requirements.
- Review and comment on the school district reclassification procedures.
- Review and comment on the written notifications required to be sent to parents and guardians.
- If the DELAC acts as the English learner parent advisory committee under California Education Code Sections 52063(b)(1) and 52062(a)(2), the DELAC shall also review and comment on the development or annual update of the Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP).*
Parents or guardians of English learners shall constitute the majority membership (51 percent or more) of the committee.
Each school's English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) shall have the opportunity to elect at least one of its members to be a site representative DELAC member. If the district has 31 or more ELACs, it may use a system of proportional or regional representation.
School districts shall provide DELAC members with appropriate training materials and training which will assist them in carrying out their required advisory responsibilities. Training shall be planned in full consultation with committee members, and funds from appropriate resources may be used to meet the costs of providing the training to include the costs associated with the attendance of the members at training sessions.
- California Education Code, sections 35147, 52062(a)(2), 52063(b), 52069, 62002.5, and 64001(a)
- California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 11308 and 15495(b)
2019-2020 Meeting Schedule- Wednesday 6:00-7:30
10/2/19 (ELAC/DELAC training), 10/23/19, 12/4/19, 2/12/20, 4/08/20 and 5/27/20