Drug Prevention Program
Paso Robles Joint Unified School District has implemented a voluntary random drug testing program for all secondary students grades 6-12. The objective of this program is to help our children in the fight against drug abuse. The program is not being implemented as a way to catch students on drugs, but rather to keep our children from experimenting with them. By enrolling in this program you are giving your child a reason to “just say no” to drugs. This program is free of charge to all who sign up.
The results of the test are CONFIDENTIAL
PRJUSD staff will not have any knowledge of the results of the drug screen, nor will the results prevent any student from participating in any extracurricular activities or any school activities.
The CONFIDENTIAL results will be emailed directly to the parent/guardian via the provided email address.
Steps to enroll your child in the voluntary drug screening program:
Step 1: Complete the Authorization Form for your child to participate in the program. Your child’s signature is also required.
Step 2: Return the completed form to your child’s school. *Make sure your email address is included on the form.
Contact: Student Services Department (805) 769-1000 or your child’s school
If you would like to sign your student up for the voluntary random drug testing program, please print and fill out the form below. Forms may be returned to your child's school office.
How Does It Work?
- Samples will be randomly collected each month at the school sites of the students who are enrolled in the program.
- A Drug Test Center (DTC) representative will take the samples to a private certified lab for testing.
- If the initial test indicates a negative result, the parents will be notified via e-mail.
- If the initial test indicates a positive result, a second test at a different lab will be conducted prior to the parent being notified of a positive result.
- Parents will receive a list of local resources they may contact for assistance and support.
What will the test identify?
The 12-panel urine drug screen will test for:
- Marijuana (THC, cannabinoids)
- Phencyclidine (PCP – angel dust)
- Amphetamines (including methamphetamines)
- Basic Opiates (including heroin, morphine, and codeine)
- Benzodiazepines (including Valium, Xanax)
- Methaqualone (Quaaludes)
- Expanded amphetamines MDMA/6AM (Ecstasy, Molly)
- Expanded Opiates (including pain killers like Percodan, Percocet, oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone)